Luke: Does Your Heart Need Healing?
Wk 19: The Resurrection
April 9, 2023
“Easter is the greatest day in the Christian Calendar in my opinion. Without his resurrection all that we believe would be foolishness. With his resurrection we have hope for the future, without it we have nothing to hope for. “
When Jesus was coming to Jerusalem, He knew that He would be called on to suffer and die.
Now as Jesus was going up to Jerusalem, He took the twelve disciples aside and said to them, “We are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be betrayed to the chief priests and the teachers of the law. They will condemn Him to death and will turn Him over to the Gentiles to be mocked and flogged and crucified. On the third day He will be raised to life!”” (Matthew 20:17–19)
But he was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brough us peace, and with his wounds we are healed. (Isaiah 53:5)
Jesus’ Body Laid in Tomb
Now upon the first day of the week, at early dawn, they went into the tomb, taking the spices they had prepared. And they found the stone rolled away from the tomb, but when they went in, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. (Luke 24:1-3)
Two things from these verses.
- When Jesus died his soul and spirit were separated from his body.
- On the third day when He was resurrected, His spirit and soul were reunited with his body.
- We will be resurrected in the same way.
For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so though Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. (1 Thessalonians 4:14)
And God raised the Lord and will also raise us up by his power. (1 Corinthians 6:14)
- His resurrected body was seen first by the women
- The Apostles did not believe them until they went to see for themselves.
He was seen by many people after His resurrection.
- First by Mary Magdalene.
- Jesus said to her, “Mary”. She turned and said to Him in Aramaic, “Rabboni.” (John:16)
- Second to Simon Peter
- Third to the two disciples on the road to Emmaus
- While they were talking and discussing together, Jesu himself drew near and went with them. (Luke 24:15)
- Fourth to the disciples twice.
- In the room they were hiding in
- The seven on the boat.
As they were talking about these things, Jesus Himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace to you.” (John 20:19b)
The Great Commission
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, (Matthew 28:19)
Wait until the Power comes upon them.
And behold, I am sending the promise of my Father upon you. But stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high. (Luke 24:49)
The Resurrection is the Reason for Our Hope
What is Easter?