Dec 19 Notes and Questions
Christmas Songs Pt 4
Wk 4 God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman
1 John 3:4-8 & Colossians 2:9-15
December 19, 2021
1 John 3:4-8
Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him. Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work.
Song hooks, that repeated phrase that keeps us coming back to the song:
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (lyrics)
1 God rest you merry, gentlemen,
let nothing you dismay;
remember Christ, our Savior
was born on Christmas Day
to save us all from Satan’s pow’r
when we were gone astray.
O tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and joy,
O tidings of comfort and joy.
2 From God our heav’nly Father
a blessed angel came
and unto certain shepherds
brought tidings of the same,
how that in Bethlehem was born
the son of God by name. [Refrain]
3 “Fear not,” then said the angel,
“let nothing you affright;
this day is born a Savior,
the true and radiant light,
to free all those who trust in him
from Satan’s pow’r and might.” [Refrain]
4 Now to the Lord sing praises,
all you within this place,
and in true love and fellowship
each other now embrace;
this holy tide of Christmas
is filled with heav’nly grace. [Refrain]
The reason for the season is that God came down into our world, humbled himself as a poor baby, just to save you.
- Jesus came to take away our sins
- Jesus came to destroy the devil
The enemy has been defeated (but he won’t be telling you that!).
Analysis of the Enemy
Analysis of our Savior
Jesus is God!!!
Not just a great teacher, not just a nice role model, not created, not <God, He is GOD!
For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority. In him you were also circumcised with a circumcision not performed by human hands. Your whole self ruled by the flesh was put off when you were circumcised by Christ, having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through your faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead. When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross. And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.
Jesus paid the cost for your sins!
Before Jesus you were dead in your sins.
Jesus forgave you of ALL your sins!
You have to enter through the narrow gate!
“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
If God “saved you from Satan’s power when you were gone astray” will you reach out to others to tell them how they can be saved?
- What are some of the songs that first pop into your mind when you think about Christmas? Do you think that the secularized Christmas has overtaken the focus Christians have (or should have) about Christmas?
- Do lyrics stick in our brain? Is that good or bad?
- Read 1st John 3:4-9, how did Jesus take away our sins? Why is it critical that Jesus did not sin?
- Why did Jesus appear on earth as a baby (growing up like most every other child did at that time)?
- What are some characteristics of the enemy/Satan?
- What are some characteristics of our Savior?
- Why is it important to know the characteristics of both our enemy and our savior?
- What defeated the enemy?
- Can you think of someone God is prompting you to reach out to with the message of salvation? Will you take the leap of faith and reach out to them?