December 5 Notes & Questions
Christmas Songs Pt. 2
Wk 2, “What Child is This?”
John 1:1-4; 14
December 5th 2021
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men.
- What Jesus Always Was
a. Jesus Was Always Existing
In the beginning was..
In the Beginning God created the Heavens and the earth.
Genesis 1 introduces the story of the old creation; John 1 introduces the story of the new creation.
b. Jesus Has Always Been with God
and the Word was with God,
and the Word was God.
c. Jesus was Always God
And Moses brought the people out of the camp to meet God… but the Targum reads, “Moses brought the people out of the camp to meet the “Word of God…”
John talks about Jesus’ deity in three very important places in his Gospel.
- The PRE-INCARNATE Jesus was God (John 1:1)
- The INCARNATE Jesus was God
No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.
- The RISEN Jesus was God
Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”
“Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!”
I and the Father are one.”
… Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father…
d. Jesus is the Creator
Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.
For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
- What Jesus Became
b. He Became a Man
“The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” (which means “God with us”).
b. He Became our Savior
Jesus, when translated means “The Lord Saves.”
She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.
- Why does it matter that Jesus was born?
- Read John 1:1-5, what does this scripture mean to you? What does it mean that the Word was God? Why is it important that Jesus always existed?
- Why is the deity of Jesus so important to the Christian faith?
- Read Colossians 1:16-17, what do you think it means in verse 17 “…and in him all things hold together”?
- Read Matthew 1:21, how does Jesus save his people from their sins? How do you know if you are “his” people?
- What are some scriptures you can reference that prove that Jesus is God?