Jan 30 Notes & Questions
Who We Are
Wk 4 “USEFUL Service”
Mark 10:42-45 (NASB)
Calling them to Himself, Jesus *said to them, “You know that those who are recognized as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them; and their great men exercise authority over them. But it is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant; and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.”
“Selfishness is being devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one’s own interest, benefits, welfare, etc… regardless of how this may affect other people.”
Luke 6:38 (NIV)
Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”
- Misunderstanding Greatness
What Greatness is NOT:
How Can We Achieve True Greatness?
John 3:30 (NASB)
He must increase, but I must decrease.
We are all pencils in the hand of a writing God, who is sending love letter to the world.”
John 12:26 (NASB)
If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also; if anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him.
“Whoever wants to be first, must be slave to all”
- Read Mark 10:42-45, why do you think at this point in their discipleship that the disciples don’t quite fully understand what Jesus is about? Is it pretty much the same for His followers today? What are some things you understand about Jesus now that you didn’t fully understand (or at all) previously in your walk with Him?
- Darin had mentioned from Matthew 20 the apparent desire of James and John to have a more favorable position in the Kingdom? Is it possible to have a more favorable position? Why or why not? Is it something that should or shouldn’t be desired. Why do we seem to have a desire to leave a legacy?
- What do you think is meant by “…be slave of all” for those who wish to be first?
- Read Luke 6:38, what do you think will be given to you after you give? What conclusions can we draw if we don’t give in the first place?
- What is grace?
- Is it easier to receive grace than to give it? Have you ever found yourself judging when you should be extending grace?
- If someone asked you name 3 people who are/were great in the Kingdom of God, who would you list? Do you think Jesus would name the same 3? What are some of the differences between what we think is greatness and what God considers.
- In what ways can you be of useful service to someone this week?