Jan 9 Notes and Questions
Who We Are
Wk 2 Deep Compassion
Jan 9 2022
Deep Compassion: We believe that God loves every person and matters deeply to Him; we are therefore committed to loving all people as He does. We want to reach the people no one else is reaching.
Therefore, if you have been raised with Christ, keep seeking the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on the things that are above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory. Therefore, treat the parts of your earthly body as dead to sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry. For it is because of these things that the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience, and in them you also once walked, when you were living in them. But now you also, rid yourselves of all of them: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene speech from your mouth. Do not lie to one another, since you stripped off the old self with its evil practices, and have put on the new self, which is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created it— a renewal in which there is no distinction between Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave, and free, but Christ is all, and in all. So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so must you do also. In addition to all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.
First Question: What is Compassion?
Second question: Why does the church needs to put on a heart of compassion?
Epaphras travelled 1300 miles to discuss with Paul about issues in the church.
Issue 1-Legalism-you have to earn you’re way to heaven.
Issue 2-Mysticism/Asceticism-all matter is bad.
When you run into someone who disagrees about Jesus you are not trying to win an argument you are trying to win a soul.
God tells us through Paul’s letter to the Colossians that He wants to fix YOU!
splagchnon oiktirmos= bowels of mercy. Compassion was thought to be felt deep inside you. It stirs you into movement to do something about it.
Blueprint for the new you:
Step 1: Firm Foundation (on Jesus)
Step 2: Tear Down the Old House (get rid of all your old garbage)
Step 3: Building the New You (on the 8 spiritual characteristics listed in Colossians 3)
God does not show partiality to any group of people. He knows what he made us from and in His eyes, we are all the same. Sinners in need of a Savior.
You will NOT have a heart of compassion when you think you are better than anyone else for any reason.
Building materials for the New (spiritual) You:
- Heart of compassion
- Bearing one another’s burdens
How do we put on Bowels of Mercy
Step 1: Seek first the Kingdom (you can’t fix you but God can)
Step 2: Move your bowels (get rid of the old useless stuff)
Step 3: Mountain Do (God will move the mountains for you)
God wants to change YOU to show the world what deep compassion looks like!
- Read Colossians 3:1-14, What does compassion mean to you? What are some examples? What is the opposite of compassion? What are some examples?
- Would you say the Bridge Church is a compassionate church? Why or why not? What are some things the church could do to improve in this Core value?
- Why do you think Paul would write a letter to a church that seemed to be struggling monetarily, physically and spiritually? Do we take time to help people who are struggling monetarily, physically and spiritually? What are some reasons we get hardened against tying to help out?
- Why do you thing legalism consistently tries to work its way into the church? What are some ways it works its way in? What are problems with legalism?
- Can you be too rich to go to heaven? Why or why not?
- Why is it considered a heresy to make Jesus less than God? What are some issues that can come up for people who take that viewpoint? What are some ways we can reach out to those with that view point in light of “deep compassion”?
- What are some ways that Deep Compassion can become Who We Are?
- Can you have a firm foundation that is not based on Jesus? Why or why not?
- What are some things that we hold onto from our old life before being reborn? What are the dangers of holding onto those old things?
- Is there a level of sin that as an experienced Christian we are able to handle? Why or why not?
- For self-reflection or to share if you feel so inclined: Write you obituary and incorporate the traits of the Holy Spirit that Paul lists in Colossians.