July 11 Notes & Questions
Wk 8 “Defeating Distraction”
When word came to Sanballat, Tobiah, Geshem the Arab and the rest of our enemies that I had rebuilt the wall and not a gap was left in it—though up to that time I had not set the doors in the gates— Sanballat and Geshem sent me this message: “Come, let us meet together in one of the villages on the plain of Ono. ” But they were scheming to harm me;
so I sent messengers to them with this reply: “I am carrying on a great project and cannot go down. Why should the work stop while I leave it and go down to you?” Four times they sent me the same message, and each time I gave them the same answer.
Don’t Get Distracted by Compromise
Don’t be Distracted by Slander
Then, the fifth time, Sanballat sent his aide to me with the same message, and in his hand was an unsealed letter 6 in which was written: “It is reported among the nations—and Geshem says it is true—that you and the Jews are plotting to revolt, and therefore you are building the wall. Moreover, according to these reports you are about to become their king and have even appointed prophets to make this proclamation about you in Jerusalem: ‘There is a king in Judah!’ Now this report will get back to the king; so come, let us meet together.”
I sent him this reply: “Nothing like what you are saying is happening; you are just making it up out of your head.” They were all trying to frighten us, thinking, “Their hands will get too weak for the work, and it will not be completed.” But I prayed, “Now strengthen my hands.”
“When men speak ill of you, live so as nobody may believe them.”
Don’t be Distracted by Sin
One day I went to the house of Shemaiah son of Delaiah, the son of Mehetabel, who was shut in at his home. He said, “Let us meet in the house of God, inside the temple, and let us close the temple doors, because men are coming to kill you—by night they are coming to kill you.” But I said, “Should a man like me run away? Or should someone like me go into the temple to save his life? I will not go!”
“Give me 100 men who fear nothing but sin and desire nothing but God, and I care not a straw whether they be clergymen or laymen; they alone will shake the gates of hell and set up the kingdom of Heaven on Earth.”
I realized that God had not sent him, but that he had prophesied against me because Tobiah and Sanballat had hired him. He had been hired to intimidate me so that I would commit a sin by doing this, and then they would give me a bad name to discredit me. Remember Tobiah and Sanballat, my God, because of what they have done; remember also the prophet Noadiah and how she and the rest of the prophets have been trying to intimidate me.
Are you being distracted, pulled away from Jesus?
Have you slowly drifted away in your faith?
When was the last time you spent time in study, prayer, etc…?
So the wall was completed on the twenty-fifth of Elul, in fifty-two days.
- What are some things that distract us?
- Read Nehemiah 6:1-4, Do you think Nehemiah could have compromised with the other 3 to meet them in the middle? When is compromise a good thing and when can it be considered to not be a good thing (giving examples of each)?
- Read Nehemiah 6:5-11, how can slander or in other cases libel, ruin someone or some project?
- What trait of Nehemiah stands out to you most over this Rebuilding series?
- What are some things that Satan uses to distract us from doing God’s work?
- Read Nehemiah 6:12-14, what are some ways that fear can lead to sin? Can we get over confident in our Walk with Jesus? What are some ways this can happen? What are some things we can do in advance to keep from getting over confident?