Wk 5” Building Good Friendships”
Proverbs 12:26; 17:17; 19:11; 27:17
July 17, 2022
Last week Darin focused on reconciliation. This week we are going to focus on how to make good friends in the first place. Many of us today have a lot of acquaintances but very few true friends. There are many people on Facebook and other social sites that have hundreds, thousands or even millions of followers. But almost all if not all of them are not friends
The first thing we need to look at is why do we need to have good friends in our lives. Why is this important to us as individuals and why is it important as a Christian?
First it is important because we are not made by God to be alone
The Lord God said, “It is not good for man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.” (Genesis 2:18)
Throughout the old testament we see many times when there were two or more people working together and supporting each other. The whole Jewish society was based on the idea of working together and supporting each other. This continues into the new testament where the church is built on many people working together with each one fill a need of the church.
Second, we need other people to support us
Two are better then one, because they have a good return for their labor. (Ecclesiastes 4:9)
Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way, you will fulfill the law of Christ. (Galatians 6:2)
It is much earlier to do and endure things when there are other people around to help us. We all need the help of other people at different times in our lives.
Third we all need to have someone we can trust and who will tell us the truth and hold us accountable.
Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. (1 Thessalonians 5:11)
We have seen the importance of having friends so now the big question arises. How do we make good friends?
Step One: Each of us should please our neighbors for their good, to build them up.
Each of us should please our neighbors for their good, to build them up. (Romans15:2)
Step Two: We need to work to develop friendships
The righteous choose their friends carefully, but the way of the wicked leads them away. (Proverbs 12:26)
Step Three: We develop good fiends by first being a good friend.
Qualities of being a good friend.
So, the good qualities the make a good neighbor are first to be friendly.
Secondly, we need to be kind and helpful and to be focused on the needs of others.
Last, we must be willing to see past the other persons faults.
Step Four: Good relationships need constant work and attention
A person’s wisdom yields patience, it is to one’s glory to overlook an offense. (Proverbs 19:11)
The Bottom Line
The secret to developing good Friendships is to be a good friend first. Then develop those qualities we want in a good friendship and work to maintain these in ourselves and to maintain the relationship
- Read Genesis 2:18, why is it not good for people to be alone? You may hear people say “I don’t need a church, I can seek God on my own just fine”. Is that statement correct? Why or why not?
- Read Ecclesiastes 4:9, what are some of the returns you might see for your labor in a friendship?
- Do you have someone in your life who will hold you accountable for your actions? How do you handle hard conversations with a friend that has started to stray away?
- What are some steps we can take to establish new friendships?
- Read Romans 15:2, what are some ways we can be a good neighbor?
- John spoke about good relationships need constant work and attention. What are some examples from your past that you are willing to share to show this connection?
- Read Philippians 2:3, do you think its possible to do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit? What do you think Paul means by this statement? What are some ways we can do to not be self-centered?
- Have you ever met someone who was a “fault finder”? What are some of the characteristics you would attribute to them? Do you find some of these same attributes in your life at times?
- Is there someone God is putting on your heart to reach out to establish a friendship? Will you reach out this week?
- Please continue to pray for Pastor Darin and his family and the church also.