Week 6, “Are You an Angry Bird”
Various Proverbs & Genesis 4:1-8
July 24, 2022
11 A fool always loses his temper,
But a wise man holds it back.
Anger in itself is not a sin. Jesus was angry on how the temple was being used.
22 An angry person stirs up conflict,
and a hot-tempered person commits many sins.
Cain, Adam and Eve’s son, had anger that he did not deal with.
Genesis 4:1-8 (NKJV)
Now Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, “I have acquired a man from the Lord.” 2 Then she bore again, this time his brother Abel. Now Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground. 3 And in the process of time it came to pass that Cain brought an offering of the fruit of the ground to the Lord. 4 Abel also brought of the firstborn of his flock and of their fat. And the Lord respected Abel and his offering, 5 but He did not respect Cain and his offering. And Cain was very angry, and his countenance fell.
6 So the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? 7 If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire is for you, but you should rule over it.”
8 Now Cain talked with Abel his brother; and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother and killed him.
God did not accept Cain’s offering perhaps because of what Cain had going on in his heart, undealt with anger.
Anger can turn into sin which will grieve the Spirit of God.
29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
When you start to let anger grow even untruths can light your fuse.
God tells us what He wants from us in His Word. God tells us what He wants us to do in His Word.
As followers of Jesus God wants us to be more than believers. He wants us to do His will.
John 3:21 NASB
21 But the one who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds will be revealed as having been performed in God.”
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
God doesn’t want you to just believe who He is, He wants you to live like you believe who He is!
8 The Lord detests the sacrifice of the wicked, but the prayer of the upright pleases him.
Cain’s sacrifice was not acceptable because he did not offer in faith (Hebrews 11:4) .
How do we get Faith?
Romans 10:17 NKJV
17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Cain did not deal with his anger and it escalated to murder (1 John 3:12)
How do we deal with anger?
- Put it in the refrigerator, Cool Off! (Ephesians 4:26-27)
- Walk it Off! (Zechariah 3:7)
- Set you Defense (James 1:19-21)
- Are there specific subjects that tend to cause people to get angry? What are some of them?
- Is anger a sin? Why or why not?
- Read Proverbs 29:22, how can anger lead to sin, what are some of the ways?
- Read Genesis 4:1-5, why did God not accept Cain’s offering? Why would Cain become very angry?
- Read Ephesians 4:29-30, what does it mean to grieve the Spirit? What are some of the ways we can grieve the Holy Spirit?
- Read Genesis 4:6-8, does just believing in God lead us to salvation?
- Read Matthew 7:21-23, how do we do the will of the Father? Are there people who can act like a Christian but not be born again?
- If a non-believer asks you, “What is faith?” how would you answer them? Is it possible to increase in faith? If so, how? If not, why?
- Read 1 John 3:10-12, how can anger and jealousy when not dealt with worsen?
- What are some ways we can deal with anger and not let it escalate?
- Please continue to pray for Pastor Darin and his family, that God will continue to bless the church and that God will guide us to reach out to an angry world with the good news.