June 20 Notes & Messages
Rebuilding: Catching God’s Vision for Your Life
“Protecting the Vision”
- Are there distractions to God’s Vision for your life?
When our enemies heard that we were aware of their plot and that God had frustrated it, we all returned to the wall, each to our own work. From that day on, half of my men did the work, while the other half were equipped with spears, shields, bows and armor. The officers posted themselves behind all the people of Judah who were building the wall. Those who carried materials did their work with one hand and held a weapon in the other, and each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked. But the man who sounded the trumpet stayed with me. Then I said to the nobles, the officials and the rest of the people, “The work is extensive and spread out, and we are widely separated from each other along the wall. Wherever you hear the sound of the trumpet, join us there. Our God will fight for us!” So we continued the work with half the men holding spears, from the first light of dawn till the stars came out. At that time I also said to the people, “Have every man and his helper stay inside Jerusalem at night, so they can serve us as guards by night and as workers by day.” Neither I nor my brothers nor my men nor the guards with me took off our clothes; each had his weapon, even when he went for water.
Every Christian is a swordsman, rightly dividing the Word of Truth.
- Jesus is YOUR advocate!
2 Chronicles 16:9
For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him. (NKJV)
My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.
Repent: Webster’s dictionary, “feel pain, sorrow or regret for something done or spoken”.
A More Biblical Definition: a complete 180 degree turn from your sin. Completely turning away from your former self.
We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to our own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.
For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. NKJV
- Put on the Full Armor of God!
- 1.Belt of Truth
- 2. Breastplate of Righteousness
- 3.Feet fitted with the readiness of the Gospel of Peace
- 4.Shield of Faith
- 5.Helmet of Salvation
- 6.Sword of the Spirit
- Put on the Full Armor of God!
- How can we find out what God’s vision is for our life?
- Read Nehemiah 4:15-23, can you think of a time in your life where God fought for you?
- Read 2 Chronicles 16:9, what are some visible or tangible signs that show that our heart is loyal to God? Can the signs be counterfeit? Why or why not?
- Read 1 John 2:1, what does it mean to you personally that Jesus is your advocate?
- What are some things we can lovingly do for Christians who have wandered (or are starting to wander) away from the faith? Are there things we can do that might drive them away further?
- Read Isaiah 53:6, When we find ourselves wandering away what are some things we should do to get back on track? Is there ever a point when we can be too far gone?
- What comes to mind when you think of the word “repent”? Can you think of a time when repenting was very hard to do? Can you be a follower of Christ and never repent? Are there “good” ways to help people know they need to repent? Are there “bad” ways?
- For self-reflection, is there something God is asking you to repent from but you’ve been unwilling or unable to do? Pray that God will help you repent and if you don’t think you have anything to repent from that God will search your heart and highlight areas that need attention.