May 16 Message Notes & Small Group Questions
Message Notes and Questions
AWE: Worshipping God Almighty!
Wk 6 Communion
1 Corinthians 11:17-26
All Mean The Same Thing:
The Lord’s Supper
we must remember that is was our sin that caused His death, but it’s His death that is the cure for sin.
1 Corinthians 11:17-26
Love Feast- “Agape Meal”
Why did Jesus wash the feet of His disciples, even Judas? (John 13:1)
Are you putting barriers between You and other people?
1 Corinthians 11:23-26
For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.
1 Corinthians 11:25
In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.”
Old Covenant- Moses and the 10 Commandments
New Covenant- Jesus and His blood
- Examine Yourself
1 Corinthians 11:28
Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup.
Search me, God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.
- Are you doing your part?
1 Corinthians 11:29
For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.
- Put yourself third.
1 Corinthians 11:34
Anyone who is hungry should eat something at home, so that when you meet together it may not result in judgment.
Communion with Jesus is important and is one of the most powerful and intimate ways we can worship Him.
- Read 1 Corinthians 11:17-26, what are some divisions you can think of that start to pop up in the church? What are some ways the body of Christ can ensure that divisions do not happen? What is the importance of solidarity in the church?
- Why is communion important to you?
- How can pride and selfishness get in the way or take over communion?
- What is the significance of Jesus washing the disciples feet?
- Read Psalms 139:23-24, is it easy or hard to ask God to “test me”? How often should we ask God to search/test us?
- Can we have Jesus the savior and not Jesus the Lord of our lives? Can we just believe and never be changed? Why or why not?
- Read 1 Corinthians 11:27-34, what do you think the judgment is that Paul references?
- Is there something this study points out to you that might be hindering communion with God? (ok to reflect internally and not share with the group)