The Bridge Church began in 1875 when Reverend C.L. Fisher, a missionary appointed by the American Baptist Home Mission Society serving in Virginia City, posted a notice in the Nevada State Journal on Saturday, November 27, 1875. The next day the church was born with fifteen people signing the charter, and the first meetings were in the old Opera House at 209 N. Virginia Street. Reverend Fisher served as pastor for fifteen months.
Dedication services for the first building at 25 West 2nd Street were held on May 7, 1876. The building was destroyed by fire in 1879 and a new structure was built at the same location. Fire again destroyed the church in 1889. A new building was constructed at the corner of 2nd and Chestnut Street (now 2nd and Arlington Avenue) and was dedicated May 18, 1890. The church moved from that location to our current Reno Campus at 1330 Foster Drive on May 18, 1958.
The name was officially changed to The Bridge Church in January of 2009. We still remain a part of the American Baptist Church denomination, but our approach is definitely more non-denominational. We are also a member of Growing Healthy Churches (www.growinghealthychurches.com) which is an association of like-minded churches committed to reaching those who are far from God and making disciples.
Our passion is to serve the community and share the good news of God’s grace and mercy through Jesus Christ. We believe that the local church is the Hope of the world as we faithfully share the gospel and make disciples. We are committed to making a difference in our community, our city, our state, and even the world. This is our heartbeat.
We invite you to consider joining our mission to Build Bridges for people to come to Jesus and grow in His Grace. There is still much to do as we seek to faithfully follow Christ and reach others for His glory.