Joy in Chains
Week 7, “Joy in Anxiety”
November 14, 2021
- Joy – The Source of Power
“Therefore, my brethern, you who I loved and longed for, my joy and crown, that is how you should stand firm in the Lord, my dearly beloved. I plead with Euodias, and I plead with Syntyche, that they agree with each other in the Lord. Yes, I ask you, loyal yokefellows, help these women who have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose name are in the book of life. Rejoyce in the Lord always, I will say it again Rejoyce! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.”
“Therefore put on the full armor of God, so tht when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything to stand,”
Be joyful in hope, Patient in affliction, Faithful in prayer
- Prayer – The Secret of Power
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
And pray in the Spirit on all accasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind be alert and always keep on praying for all the lord’s people.
- Joy – Through Contemplation of Christ
and Putting It Into Practice
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, what ever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent pariseworthy – think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or hear from me or seen in me – put into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.
Let anxiety go,
give it to God,
Let Jesus give us the peace we need.
Week 7 Small Group Questions
Joy in Anxiety
- What are some things that cause us to have anxiety? Do you think they are any different than the anxiety folks had in the 1st century?
- Read Philippians 4:1-5, how important to you is it to help people understand the gospel message? What are some ways we can go about helping people open their bible and learning more about God from it?
- John explained from the text that two women were at odds with each other in the church. What are some things that you have seen that have caused division in a church? What are some of the ways to work the issues out that were successful? What are some solutions that were not successful?
- What do you think were Paul’s reason(s) for mentioning twice to rejoice and mentioning twice that the “Lord is near”? What do you think is meant by the “Lord is Near”?
- Read Philippians 4:6-7, how can we avoid being anxious in any situation/what is the very first step? Are any of our problems to small to converse with God about?
- Read Philippians 4:8-9, do you ever take time to think/meditate on the things in Paul’s list? When we have anxiety do any of these things automatically pop into your mind? What is our fleshly tendency when we have anxiety? Do you ever feel like God is NOT 100% in control? What should we do when we feel that way?
- Are there any practical steps we can do to avoid anxiety pre-emptively? Can you recall any other scriptures or biblical stories that deal with anxiety?